[Arm-netbook] apple "security" prevents and prohibits repair...
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
2018-10-05 04:13:47 UTC
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/18/10/05/0142226/apples-new-proprietary-software-locks-kill-independent-repair-on-new-macbook-pros#comments

*sigh* and tim cook bless him is talking about privacy... it's as if
noone listens to him, even inside apple itself...

Send large attachments to arm-ne
J.B. Nicholson
2018-10-05 07:28:37 UTC
Post by Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
*sigh* and tim cook bless him is talking about privacy... it's as if
noone listens to him, even inside apple itself...
I think I may have missed a sarcastic note there: Do you actually believe
that Tim Cook cares about Apple user's privacy? It's like reading
https://gizmodo.com/234448/steve-jobs-on-drm-it-must-die on Steve Jobs
saying that DRM "must die!" and believing Jobs was against DRM.

If Apple cared about their users' privacy they wouldn't distribute
proprietary software. Perhaps that's why Cook isn't worth listening to;
whatever his words suggest, Apple's choices speak louder.

Similarly talking against DRM for music is not only all-too-light criticism
(music only?) but a foregone conclusion well before Jobs said anything as
MP3s were so popular when Jobs "advised the music industry to give up on
DRM" he knew he couldn't sell a music player that didn't support MP3s.
Apple was apparently quite fine with DRM on other things, so what Gizmodo
calls an "anti-DRM Manifesto" is simultaneously far too strong a language
to describe Jobs' language and too weak to give Jobs or Apple much credit.

But perhaps I missed the sarcasm entirely.

Se
s***@gmail.com